3.2 C
New York
3.3 C
Washington D.C.
Saturday, January 28, 2023

Yemeni authorities have accused the former major opposition party of rebellion after days of violent factional fighting

[ad_1]

Nearly 30 people have died in a week of clashes between paramilitaries and al-Islá movement forces in Shabwa province

MADRID, August 13 (EUROPA PRESS) –

Yemeni authorities have accused forces of what was once the country’s main opposition party, Al-Islah, of insurgency after a week of violent factional clashes in Shabwa province that have highlighted ongoing internal tensions within the Presidential Leadership Council (CPL). fighting against the Houthi insurgency.

It all started on Monday when, according to sources in the local Yemeni government, according to China’s official news agency Xinhua, “al-Isla-affiliated military leaders” began advancing on Shabwa from neighboring Marib province, before accusing the party of “attempting to seize authority.” take over the province”, rich in oil.

Despite attempts to negotiate a cessation of hostilities, the party, which is linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, the world’s largest Islamic organization, eventually threatened to quit the CPL after learning that local authorities were planning to sack one of its commanders had ordered, leading to heavy street fighting between rival security units in the provincial capital, Ataq.

Al Islá’s critics accuse the group of collaborating with the Houthi insurgency and generally being toxic actors against the fragile unity of the Yemeni authorities in their fight against the Houthi, a war marked by constant friction between the government-recognized forces Government is shaped international community and their separatist allies in the south of the country.

This tension extends to the international level, primarily Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, major proponents of the international coalition that aids the Yemeni authorities and that sometimes splits allegiance between the members that make up the Yemeni national alliance against the insurgency. Saudi Arabia is courtesy to government troops, while the Emirates are more favorable to the separatists.

Thus, Shabwa Governor Awad al Awlaki on Wednesday ordered paramilitary forces of the Giants Brigades to conduct an operation to suppress Al Isla’s forces, which ended in an intensification of clashes that have left 28 dead so far and more than 60 injured in the province.


Yemeni authorities have since ordered the removal of several military and security leaders accused of organizing an insurgency against the local Shabwa government, according to Yemen’s state-run Saba news agency.

The situation in Ataq now appears to be under control. The city is now the scene of patrols by forces affiliated with the Southern Transitional Council, the political coalition representing government-allied separatists in their fight against the Houthis. This Saturday, however, the provincial governor’s office condemned the attacks by the forces of Al Islá, a party “which seems to have adopted,” he lamented in a statement collected by the South24 portal, “a position of rebellion in the governorate.” .

These clashes also come amid a ceasefire that has given breathing space to the Yemeni people, who have been mired in the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. The EU Mission to Yemen this week said it was “extremely concerned about the recent violence in Shabwa and the loss of life” before “welcoming the efforts of Yemeni President Rashad al-Alimi and the CPL he heads to acknowledge the seriousness of the situation.” reduce”.

“Fighting like this,” analyst Abdulghani Al Iryani told Deutsche Welle, “could hamper any kind of negotiations the CPL might have with the Houthis about a final ceasefire.”

[ad_2]

Source europapress.es

Latest article