20.2 C
New York
Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Ukraine bans pro-Russian parties: this happened overnight

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Fighting in the front sections of Ukraine continued until Sunday night. Meanwhile, on a political level, the kyiv government has launched a strike against pro-Russian parties in the country and banned their work until further notice. President Volodymyr Zelenskyj once again addressed the people of Russia with drastic words.

Work of pro-Russian parties in Ukraine prohibited for the time being

Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council has banned the work of several pro-Russian parties for the duration of the war in the country. Selenskyj announced this via video message on Sunday night. “Their politicians’ activities aimed at dividing or collaborating will not succeed, but they will receive a harsh response,” Zelenskyi was quoted as saying by Ukrayinska Pravda.

The affected parties include the “Opposition Platform – For Life” and the “Opposition Bloc”, which are also represented in Parliament. Like the other nine extra-parliamentary parties that have now been banned, they are considered Eurosceptic, anti-liberal or pro-Russian.

Selenskyj: mountains of corpses of Russian soldiers

In his video message, Selenskyj addressed the people of Russia with martial words about the heavy Russian war losses. “At the critical points of particularly heavy fighting, our defense lines are practically full of dead bodies of Russian soldiers. (…) And these dead bodies, these dead bodies are not going to be recovered by anyone,” he continued. “And they are chasing new units on them, whatever reserves the Russian commanders are building up somewhere.”

You can understand that Russia has almost endless reserves of soldiers and military equipment. “But I would like to know from the citizens of Russia: what has been done to them in those years that they did not notice their losses?” More than 14,000 Russian soldiers have already died. “There are 14,000 mothers, 14,000 fathers, wives, children, relatives, friends, and don’t you realize it?”

[Verfolgen Sie alle wichtigen Entwicklungen zum Ukraine-Krieg in unserem Liveblog.]

The Ukrainian account of the Russian soldiers killed cannot be independently verified, as can that of its own military losses, which the state leadership estimated at around 1,300 soldiers about a week ago. So far, the Russian side has officially confirmed just under 500 of its own casualties.

Ukrainian authorities: more than 260 civilians killed in Kharkiv

The number of deaths among the civilian population also continues to rise. According to local authorities, 266 civilians have been killed since Russian troops invaded Ukraine more than three weeks ago as a result of fighting in the city of Kharkiv alone. Among them were 14 children, judicial authorities in the country’s second-largest city said Saturday night. The city, which was besieged by Russian troops and was home to 1.5 million people before the start of the war, continues to be bombarded with artillery, the Unian agency reported. This information could not be independently verified.

More about the Ukrainian war on Tagesspiegel Plus:

High number of victims in destroyed barracks in Mykolaiv

After a rocket attack by Russian troops on a barracks in Mykolaiv in southern Ukraine, aides are said to have recovered at least 50 dead from the rubble on Saturday. A total of around 200 soldiers were sleeping in the building when the rockets landed, Ukrajinska Pravda reported on Saturday. Nearly 60 injured were taken to nearby hospitals. This information has not been independently confirmed.

Mayor of Chernihiv reports catastrophic situation

In a dramatic appeal, the mayor of Chernihiv pointed to the precarious situation in the northern Ukrainian city surrounded by Russian troops. “Indiscriminate artillery shelling of residential areas continues, peaceful people are dying,” Vladislav Atrashenko was quoted as saying by the Unian agency. The city is experiencing a humanitarian catastrophe. “There is no electricity, no water, no heating, the city’s infrastructure is completely destroyed.”

[Alle aktuellen Nachrichten zum russischen Angriff auf die Ukraine bekommen Sie mit der Tagesspiegel-App live auf ihr Handy. Hier für Apple- und Android-Geräte herunterladen.]

Railway connections between Ukraine and Belarus probably interrupted

Belarusian rail workers are said to have cut off all rail connections between Belarus and Ukraine. Ukrainian Railways President Olexander Kamyshin thanked his colleagues in Belarus for the unspecified action on Saturday. “As of today I can say that there is no rail traffic between Belarus and Ukraine,” he was quoted as saying by the Unian agency. This would mean that Russian troops in Ukraine would not receive reinforcements or supplies through these routes.

An adviser to Belarusian opposition icon Svetlana Tichanovskaya also reported on the alleged action on Twitter. “Heroes! Belarusian railway workers have cut the railway connection with Ukraine, so trains with Russian equipment cannot go to Ukraine,” wrote Franak Viachorka. Here, however, there was also no independent confirmation of the alleged action. .

Although Russian troops have invaded Ukraine from Belarus, authoritarian Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, considered a protégé of Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin, has so far refused to allow his troops to directly participate in the war in the neighboring country. (dpa)


Source link

- Advertisement -

New Articles