At the trial of an alleged former SS guard at Sachsenhausen concentration camp, a survivor from France described the inhumane daily life in the camp. Marcel Suillerot, 98, from near Dijon, told the court in a video hearing on Friday that he had come to the concentration camp in 1943 when he was 20 with many other French prisoners after distributing anti-German leaflets. . the occupiers in France have. “The SS men told us: ‘Go through the gate into the camp and out through the chimney,'” the 98-year-old said.
Suillerot recounted that at first he had to carry sacks of cement with other prisoners. “Anyone who dropped a sack was beaten to death by security guards for sabotage,” the 98-year-old said. Comrades froze to death during hours of roll call in extreme cold. The hygienic conditions in the barracks were very bad. The survivor reported that other inmates had been cruelly mistreated and hanged for lesser reasons.
In April 1945, the SS sent Suillerot north along with thousands of other prisoners on a death march. Those who could no longer walk were killed by the guards. Of the 32,000 prisoners, only 18,000 survived the march, the 98-year-old man said. The survivors were freed by Soviet soldiers near Schwerin.
[Alle aktuellen Nachrichten zum russischen Angriff auf die Ukraine bekommen Sie mit der Tagesspiegel-App live auf ihr Handy. Hier für Apple- und Android-Geräte herunterladen]
In the trial before the Neuruppin district court, a 101-year-old man from Brandenburg/Havel is accused of having aided and abetted the murder of at least 3,518 prisoners as a concentration camp guard between 1942 and 1945. For organizational reasons, the procedure takes place in a sports hall in Brandenburg/Havel.
The activity of the SS guard is documented by documents.
The accused has so far denied having been to the camp. However, the activity of an SS guard with his name, date and place of birth is documented by numerous documents. His mother and her father had also stated in letters to the German authorities that his son was serving in the SS in Oranienburg.
According to the court’s spokeswoman, Iris le Claire, the process, which has been going on since October, is heading towards a conclusion. The evidentiary hearing could possibly be completed in the next week. In this case, the allegations of the prosecution, the defense and the five representatives of the joint plaintiffs could begin on March 24. A verdict is then expected in April. (dpa)