If you plan to travel to Colombia and visit Ipiales or Pasto in your vehicle, we remind you that you must have Compulsory Road Accident Insurance (SOAT). Otherwise, you will have to pay a fine of approximately230 dollars and retention of the vehicle. In addition, winch and parking values for each day of retention.
The authorities have indicated that this document is intended to provide insurance against traffic accidents in the territory and must be processed 24 hours in advance. In the case of being obtained on the same day, it can be justified with the traffic police, but in the event of an accident, this insurance does not cover it if 24 hours have not passed.
“The foreign citizen, not necessarily Ecuadorian or who is visiting from another country, must have his SOAT, since he will support it and it is a document that will ensure life, for those who drive the vehicle and its occupants.”
— Johana Rosero, Director of Mobility of the Municipality of Ipiales.
To obtain this document you can do so at malls or at the Rumichaca International Bridge where several people offer it. As for the price, it will depend on the company that provides the insurance, the type of vehicle and the validity.
If payment of the fine is made within five working daysit will be cut in half.
The price of the dollar in Colombia has prompted many Ecuadorians to travel to the border to buy certain products. This Friday, July 29, the dollar experienced a value 4,289.67 pesos. In recent weeks, it has reached 4,600 pesos. With this change, some people have decided to go to Ipiales to compare prices and buy the items that suit them, especially those for cleaning and grooming.
What products can I bring to Ecuador from Ipiales without paying taxes?
They can enter the country by land, regardless of the personal items that accompany the traveler or the family group considered individually, according to the Ecuador Customs Service. Of course, provided that due to its quantity or value cannot be considered commercial, whether new or used:
- Clothes for travelers.
- toiletries; grooming items.
- Jewelry, jewelry, personal ornaments and home decorations, in non-commercial quantities.
- Books, magazines, photographic material and printed or manuscript documents.
- Foods processed, properly sealed or vacuum packed in non-commercial quantities.
- Food and items for children accompanying the traveler.
- Goods for professional use, tools and equipment necessary for the exercise of the functions or work activities of the traveler: only those who are portable, a situation which must be justified by a work card, an employment contract or another public or private document; Costumes for artists, theater companies, circuses or the like.
- Medicines for personal use. In the case of medicines containing psychotropic substances, they must be accompanied by their respective medical prescription; Technical aids for disabled travellers, such as: wheelchairs, crutches, orthopedic devices and the like, equipment necessary for the medical check-up, mobilization and independent development of the traveler, provided that all such equipment complies with his disability and in sufficient quantities exclusively for your personal use; Blood pressure monitor, thermometer and/or glucometer.
- camping equipment; suitcases, bags or other items used to transport luggage.
- Video, music or data storage units.
- 2 live domestic animals as pets, without prejudice to compliance with the corresponding health requirements; If the animals are shipped on the same trip, even as cargo, their customs clearance process will go through the international border area.
- 2 musical instruments and/or their respective accessories, normally transportable by one person.
- Sporting goods and their accessories that can normally be carried by one person.
- Toys and their accessories that can normally be carried by one person.
- Maximum 3 packs of cigarettes.
- Kitchen utensils, non-electric, that can be carried by one person and 3 electric and portable kitchen appliances; and portable tools used for gardening.
- A used unit of the following portable items: Camera and/or film camera; Cellular or satellite phone; Electronic diary or personal computer on a tablet (tablet); portable global positioning equipment (GPS); Laptop and its peripherals (mouse, headphones, cameras, keyboard, etc.); Electronic calculator.
Entry of goods from Colombia to Ecuador
Any traveler who brings goods subject to the payment of taxes through the land borders of the country, the value of which is less than or equal to 2,000.00 USD (or its equivalent in another currency); You must present the Simplified Customs Declaration (DAS), and attach the documents requested by Customs.
Value of the dollar in Colombia
The dollar in Colombia hit a record high of 4,625 pesos on July 12, pushed by global volatility on fears that the United States is entering a recession that will become global.
The country will be governed from August 7 by the leftist Gustavo Petro, but market analysts consider that the political situation has little influence on the behavior of the exchange rate, since the Colombian peso accumulates so far this year a depreciation of 10.5% at the official price.
“Part of what is happening in Colombia and Chile is that they are very exposed countries to commodities: oil in the case of Colombia and copper in Chile, and both have experienced price reversals. This means we have two currencies that are very sensitive in this environment,” says BBVA Research lead economist Alejandro Reyes.
With information from EFE.