The titular model Mr. International Toledo 2022, Carlos Izquierdo and his twin brother Jorge they were arrested by Spanish police leading a 20-something network to deceive tech giant Amazon.
According to those published by Patricia Peiro in the The Spanish newspaper El País, the technique was simple:
- They ordered a product through Amazon.
- They picked it up at one of the points in the e-commerce platform.
- Then they made a false statement.
- They didn’t return the product, but they got the money back and also kept their purchase.
- They turned to courier delivery companies to deliver empty envelopes with the assigned return label instead of physically returning the purchased product themselves.
- To finalize the deal, the members of the plot would then resell the purchases on regular second-hand buy-and-sell sites or through apps.
“The business was growing to the point that they were scamming up to half a million euros with this mechanism.
— El País newspaper of Spain
Police report on Operation Twins
According to the police, created some 500 customer accounts through which they made purchases using over 400 virtual cards“mainly high-end electronics”.
The investigation began in January 2021 and during all this time the police stations of Hortaleza and Coslada-San Fernando, in Madrid, evidence has been gathered to prove modus operandi of this network of 25 members, the youngest of whom was 20 years old and the oldest 35.