Dozens killed in Russian attack on Mykolayiv barracks
According to eyewitnesses, dozens of people were killed in a Russian airstrike on a military barracks in Mykolaiv, in southern Ukraine. “Not less than 200 soldiers slept in the barracks“Private Maxim, 22, told the AFP news agency on Saturday, a day after the rocket attack.”At least 50 bodies were pulled from the rubble, but we don’t know how many remain.“The rescue work continued.
The Russians “carried out cowardly rocket attacks on sleeping soldiers,” Mykolayiv regional governor Vitaly Kim said in a video posted on Facebook on Saturday. He is waiting for information about the losses of the Ukrainian armed forces.
Another soldier at the scene told AFP the attack could have killed 100 people. “We are still counting, but given the state of the bodies, it is almost impossible to count,” said one of the rescuers.
The mayor of Mykolaiv, Oleksiy Senkevich, told the Ukrainian media that the city, which had almost half a million inhabitants before the war, was The Russian-controlled Kherson region was bombed maybe. “The shelling is happening too fast to detect and trigger the alarm system,” she said.
Around Mykolaiv there are fierce fights. The city is considered strategically important as it is located opposite the large port city of Odessa. Odessa has so far been spared the attacks.
Meanwhile, Ukraine announced that it had killed another Russian general in attacks on an airfield outside Kherson. He is the fifth senior Russian army officer killed since the invasion began on February 24. (AFP)