12.5 C
New York
Thursday, May 26, 2022

Lower Saxony and Bremen: Experts release 400,000 young eels

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Lower Saxony and Bremen
Experts release 400,000 young eels

Bleckede (dpa/lni) – Fishermen and experts from the Lower Saxony Chamber of Agriculture in the district of Lüneburg have placed around 400,000 young eels in the Elbe and its tributaries. The goal of Friday’s action is to rebuild the significantly reduced eel stock in the Elbe, the spokeswoman for the Chamber of Agriculture said.

The animals have been caught since January as small glass eels off the French Atlantic coast and have now been brought to Bleckede in the Lüneburg district. “Young eels grow up along the west and east banks of the Elbe, in oxbow lakes and tributaries such as Jeetzel and Krainke and can then leave the Elbe as adult silver eels on their way to their spawning grounds in the Atlantic.” the statement said.

According to the Chamber of Agriculture, 60 percent of the costs of some 40,000 euros will be covered by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) and the state of Lower Saxony. The Elbe Fishing Community Initiative pays the remaining 40 percent. The Chamber of Agriculture has coordinated the species protection initiative for the seventeenth time.


Source link

- Advertisement -

New Articles