18.8 C
New York
Saturday, May 28, 2022

In a letter to players, Greg Norman says the Saudi-backed league will launch, with details of the first events on Wednesday.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Greg Norman is not leaving.

In a letter he sent Tuesday to the players and obtained by golf weekThe Great White Shark said the Saudi-backed rival golf league that would compete with the PGA Tour still has teeth and will launch soon, with information on the first events of the proposed league to be announced on Wednesday.

SIcom/Morning Reading He was the first to break the news.

Despite the recent overwhelming release from the league of many of the game’s top players, including Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas, Collin Morikawa, Brooks Koepka, Xander Schauffele and Jordan Spieth, Norman, CEO and commissioner of LIV Golf Investments, said “we will continue to drive this vision forward. We will not stop. We believe in our mission and tomorrow we will announce information about our first events.”

LIV Golf Investments, backed by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, has already committed $300 million over 10 years to the Asian Tour. Although lacking details, LIV Golf Investments has also proposed a Super Golf League that would consist of 14 events with 48-player courses with individual and team play.

The events would be 54 holes without court. Each would have a bag of 20 million dollars.

An ownership component for players with eight-figure signing bonuses was also reported.

Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau are rumored to be joining the league. Johnson and DeChambeau, however, have recently said they are with the PGA Tour. Mickelson, who hasn’t played since the Farmers Insurance Open, said he needed time off the game after Alan Shipnuck of the Firepit Collective and author went public with disparaging comments he made in November about Saudi Arabia’s repressive regime and the PGA Tours. from the forthcoming “Phil: The Rip-Roaring (and Unauthorized!) Biography of Golf’s Most Colorful Superstar.”

Despite player pushbacks and PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan saying last week at The Players Championship that the Tour is going ahead, Norman is undeterred. Monahan has told players that if they join the rival league, they could lose PGA Tour membership.

“We consider ourselves a start-up,” Norman wrote. “We can start with a modest number of players, but we won’t stay like that for long. I fully understand that some players may choose not to play with us right away. But after we get going, I think a lot of those who aren’t with us now will be later. I want to thank you for your patience, but I know it will be worth it.

“While we respect that some of you may have concerns, please know that we will work tirelessly with you to alleviate them. Our goal will always be to allow you to focus on your performance as a player, while benefiting from new opportunities, whenever you are ready for them.”

Norman also wrote that the proposed Super Golf League would not conflict with the four major championships or heritage championships.

“LIV Golf has been consistent in its desire to complement annual touring schedules and the broader global golf ecosystem,” Norman wrote. “From the beginning, we designed this to give players the option to play on any tour and at LIV Golf events, and we actively encourage you to do so. We will not ask you to choose one or the other. This is in addition to, and does not replace, the current Tour schedule.

“I hope to continue with you in the coming days. For now, all I ask is that you keep an open mind. It is 100 percent in their interest to do so.”

Ready

Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy and the players who have supported the PGA Tour in the Saudi-backed Super Golf League

Source link

- Advertisement -

New Articles