According to the Memorial Foundation, a survivor of the Buchenwald concentration camp was killed in a bomb attack in Kharkiv. Buchenwald Foundation and Mittelbau-Dora Memorials director Jens-Christian Wagner said on Monday that 96-year-old Boris Romantschenko was killed in an attack on his multi-story apartment building in the eastern Ukrainian city on Friday. He referred to information from an old confidant of the foundation in Kharkiv.
Romantschenko survived the Buchenwald, Peenemünde, Dora and Bergen-Belsen concentration camps, the foundation announced on Twitter. He was Vice President of the Buchenwald-Dora International Committee. Since the 1990s he has regularly attended events at the site of the former concentration camp near Weimar, Wagner said. Romantschenko has not left his apartment in Kharkiv for months, for fear of being infected with Corona.
[Alle aktuellen Nachrichten zum russischen Angriff auf die Ukraine bekommen Sie mit der Tagesspiegel-App live auf ihr Handy. Hier für Apple- und Android-Geräte herunterladen]
At the beginning of the war in the Ukraine, Wagner had already expressed concern for the concentration camp survivors living there. He was “particularly tragic for the survivors of the Ukrainian concentration camps who suffered with the Russian prisoners in the camps and who are now sitting in the bomb shelter and are threatened with death by Russian bombs,” he said. (dop)