Status: 04.07.2022 01:39
Police say three people were killed in the shooting at a shopping mall in Copenhagen. A 22-year-old Dane was arrested. Prime Minister Frederiksen condemned the act.
At least three people were shot dead in the bloody crime at a Copenhagen shopping mall. The victims are a man aged 40 to 50 and two young people, Chief Police Inspector Søren Thomassen said in the Danish capital on Monday evening, according to local media. Three other people were seriously injured and in critical condition.
Thomassen did not provide any information on the possible motive. There is speculation of a racist background on social media, he said. There is currently no evidence for this.
Alleged perpetrator known to police
Police have arrested a 22-year-old Dane in connection with the crime. The suspected shooter was “essentially known” to police, Thomassen said. He did not provide any further information on this. Police believe the assailant acted alone. “Until we are absolutely certain that the assumption is correct, we will conduct a full-scale investigation and maintain a massive operational presence in Copenhagen until we can say he was alone,” Thomassen said. . The man had a firearm and ammunition on him when he was arrested. Another weapon could have been involved.
The arrested person is to be questioned today, it was said. He will be charged with manslaughter. But the allegation could still change. Police initially wouldn’t say if the man was a member of a gun club and if he legally owned the gun.
Frederiksen condemned the attack
The Danish royal family has called for cohesion. Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen condemned the act as a “cruel attack”. “We were all brutally pulled away from the bright summer we had just begun,” Fredriksen said. “It’s incomprehensible. Heartbreaking. Needless. Our beautiful and safe capital was transformed in a split second.”
The head of government thanked the police and the rescuers and all those who were willing to help for their efforts. According to the police, several people were shot and killed in the Copenhagen shopping centre. In addition, there are many injuries, a spokesman told a press conference. He gave no further details. The previous information is associated with uncertainty, it is a kind of chaotic phase.
Lea Busch, ARD Stockholm, on the situation in Copenhagen after a police press conference
daily topics 10:45 p.m., 3.7.2022
Witnesses report chaotic scenes
When the first shots were fired, more than a hundred people fled the mall, Danish media reported, citing eyewitnesses. A photograph showed a man placed on a stretcher. Eyewitnesses reported that people were hiding in the mall’s stores.
One told broadcaster DR he heard three or four very loud bangs while he was in a shop with his family. Then other people ran into the store and reported gunshots, after which he and his family fled through an emergency exit, the man said. The police called on eyewitnesses to provide video and photo material.
Mayor: “It’s very serious”
Copenhagen Mayor Sophie H. Andersen was appalled by the incident. It was “awful,” she tweeted. The city is in close contact with the police and is ready to help.
The Fields shopping center is located in the Amager district between the center of the Danish capital and the airport. In the neighborhood is the Royal Arena, where a concert by musician Harry Styles was to take place. According to Danish media, however, it was cancelled.
Several thousand fans were first allowed into the venue and waited there. The TV2 television channel reported that fans in the hall had been informed that the concert would not take place for security reasons. Fans were asked to leave the room calmly.